17.9.10

Memories of a Draenei : the Night of the falling Stars (part I)


Long times ago, on the flourishing world of Draenor, the orcs were celebrating the sacred Night of the Falling Stars. When our people settled on this planet, the tribes invited us to join their ancestral celebration of the astral event. We were sharing an evening together, offering gift, food, challenging each others along games and we exchanged blessing. It became a night symbol of peace between our two races.
As I was learning the orkish language, I had been left in charge of the organization of this event during several years, and I was successfully offering the Draenei blessing of Light. But that time…I had a bad feeling about it.

I had made a nightmare so vivid that I could not think about something else. I though it was a bad presage for the celebration, and I wanted to hear a wise opinion, find some comfort and guidance, and even...a replacement.
At this time, Sanara of the Exodar was an anchoress wandering alone in the wilds of Terrotkar. I made hardly my way to her hermitage. I was filled with hope. Sanara was a name most of us knew, as she was one of the eldest of our kind, and her wisdom was respected more than she though. She received me with simplicity and kindness; around her camp fire where she cooked some fishes she had captured herself. We talk longly. She offered me comfort rather than answers. But more important, she accepted to break her exile to give the Blessing herself. In exchange, I just had to bring her soap and white dye for her hair.

However, the evening of the celebration, my heart was filled with anguish. I was walking endlessly on the Light Terrasse of Shattrah, waiting for people, waiting for Sanara…I wasn’t expecting a crowd, but they really were few people attending. And worst than anything: the Anchoress wasn’t there. It reinforced my bad feeling about a cursed Celebration! Would I be forced to offer the Blessing myself ?
We were about to be late. I gathered the few females which were present, and we started to move towards the point of rendez vous. When we arrived to the little village, my heart stopped to beat a moment. It was empty. I started to be catastrophied. We were late and the orcs were gone already…They were a bit primitive, they would take it as an offence. I couldn’t reason myself that it was not important and that in two or three generations this event would be all forgotten. I was in panic.

When I though that everything was lost and that I had failed miserably, we finaly saw a cortege arriving in the horizon. The orcs were late themselves. And as I was relieved by their presence, my brain started to work again. I suddendly remembered that Sanara told me to meet her in Telaar before the ceremony. How stupid I was, to let my emotion control me to the point of forgetting such an important thing ! Aomir, a young draenei, had a fierce elek as mount, and offered me to get the Anchoress herself. She left and ran trough the plains as fast as a falling star.

Meanwhile, I tried then to organise the feast. The orcs were more numerous than us. Seven males, all larges and strongs, and two females. We gathered arround a large fire. There were fruits, meat, fishes. The orc were eating with appetit. The draeneis were less confident. One female was so shy that she could not dare to approach the orcs. They were wondering why she was scared, and I tired to explain them that she was too impressed by their large musculature. I though some humour, added to a little compliment could only relax the atmosphere. They laughed. The dinner happened like this. There weren’t so much communication between our poeple, other than glances, and satisfied smiles. But everything was fine…for now…

(To be continued..)

No comments:

Post a Comment